Monday, April 20, 2009

Overall Refugee Picture

In reading all these articles I found many interesting, but also feel like we've jumped all over the place and so I found myself searching for an overview perspective on the refugee situation. So I searched on the human rights pages and found that Amnesty International is not present in Afghanistan and Human Rights watch is reporting on the huge blunder to women's rights that Brennan posted on.

On the UNHCR (UN Human Rights Council) website I found this article: UNHCR and Pakistan government sign Letter of Mutual Intent. A letter was signed last March indicating future cooperation between Pakistan and UNHCR with regards to the massive amounts of Afghan refugees whos situations have changed since the Taliban has fallen. Pakistan agreed to continue to support the dwelling of Afghan refugees as UNHCR funds

There are as many as 1.7 million Afghan refugees in Pakistan now and over 4.4 million have returned to their home country since the support program began in 2002. It seems to me the the UNHCR's presence in this situation is huge. This is hopeful since most of what I have found of the international communities influence on the refugee situations has not been as influential.

No comments:

Post a Comment